Sunday, May 31, 2009

Salzburg


The Hills are Alive!!!

I went to the home of Mozart and the Sound of Music---Salzburg Austria. It was a rainy day, but Salzburg still proved to be a beatiful place and an artists dream. Salburg's favorite son, Mozart rules the city. I saw his birthplace where they have a nice museum on him and his family. I also went to his home later in life after he had made some money. He was a crazy man, one with God given mastery. It was so nice to see so many people interested in him. I took the train from Munich listening to his piano quartets (Thanks Joe!!!) on my iPod. Great train and great music.

There are a few pictures from the abbey where Maria came from (true story) and pictures of the house they used in the movie(Not their real house). I even sang the music at the top of my lungs with a few folks that had been imbibing a little too much on the local necture.

My favorite part of the trip was climbing to the top of the Hohensalzburg Fortress. This fortress was constructed in the 1100's and improved over time until the start of WWI. It was quite a hike up, but well worth it. I have not run in a few days so it was good to get the workout. The view of Salzburg from there is amazing. A very old town with great buildings nestled right in the Alps. I could still see snow covered mountains in the distance.

Due to the rain I headed back into Munich an hour early and enjoyed a great Goulash dinner with Spatzel.

Most of my pictures may need explanations, but alas, it's dinner time, so that will have to wait.

The link:
http://www1.snapfish.com/thumbnailshare/AlbumID=607447002/a=21881784_21881784/otsc=SHR/otsi=SALBlink/COBRAND_NAME=comcast2/

No comments:

Post a Comment