Saturday, May 23, 2009

In Bruges



I could not help myself from the Title above. If you have not seen the movie "In Bruges" please rent it now. It is funny, full of action, and the main reason why I decided to spend 2 days in Bruges, Belgium. Bruges is alsoo spelled Brugge and Brugges. Not sure why it gets so many spellings...



This was the capital of the world several centuries ago. Today they specialize in chocolate, lace and beer. I'll stick to the chocolate.



The city is a lot like Venice with canals everywhere. I spent a good deal of time wealking around the city and then took a canal ride. Everwhere you turn is a postcard setting.



Very interesting museum, the Church of the Holy Blood. This has a container that was fought for in the Middle Ages. The container supposedly has two drops of Christ's blood. As many people have died for this chalise, I personally think a DNA test is in order. There is a priest whos job it is is to wipe down and polish the container as each person touches it and says a prayer. He must have to polish it 4000-5000 times a day. That is more polishing than I would do in a lifetime. OK, 300 lifetimes..




Sunday morning I ws the first to climb to the top of the Belfry in the clock tower. My hotel room looks out at the tower, and I was inspired to climb it. Only about 500 stairs. You use the same stair case on the way down as up. The main part of the building is 600 years old. On my way down everyone was asking if this was the only staircase.... Not so bright... So I told them they were allowed to take the elevator on the way down. About 50% of the people thought I was serious. Sarah's flag was placed in the Belfry.

There is a Madonna by Michelangelo here as well. One of his few works that is outside of Italy.




Link to Bruges pictures:

http://www1.snapfish.com/thumbnailshare/AlbumID=551587002/a=21881784_21881784/otsc=SHR/otsi=SALBlink/COBRAND_NAME=comcast2/

2 comments:

  1. Enjoyed the canal pictures - looks like you're having nice weather so far. I especially liked the dog sleeping in the window.

    Funny stair/belltower story - people are always looking for the easy way out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't mean this to be a sexist comment, but it was always the woman who believed me. The guys always just laughed.

    Maybe it's their trusting nature!!!

    ReplyDelete