Sunday, June 21, 2009

Random Thoughts on a boat...

On the Blue Star Itaki on my way to Mykonos. Beautiful ferry ship. Sat out for an hour or so, now kicking back in the lounge.

Athens was great. The people are so friendly. I wonder what type of cultural differences drive our behaviors. In Greece if you walk pass someone with a map open they stop you and ask where you need to go. They then point you in the right direction. If they do not know where you are going, they take it on themselves to get you the correct directions. Sometimes this means that they get a whole group of people together to come up with the best directions. This gets quite comical as the next thing you know there are 3 or 4 Greeks yelling at one another on what is the best way to walk 4 or 5 blocks. After a consensus is reached, they give you the verdict, and you are on the way. In NY people basically ignore you if you ask for directions. Especially if they ask in another language. I promise to be more helpful in the future.

Again with the fruits and vegetables. I grew up thinking the US has the best produce. This is so far from the truth. I do not ever remember eating better produce in my life. All of the growth hormones and genetically engineered produce that the US has created is really awful. It may look good, but there is absolutely no taste to it. I haave not had a bad tomato in a month.
That being said, I miss the US beef. They do not understand how to create a steak or hamburger in Europe. I’m looking forward to a big juicy hamburger when I get home. After that it will need to be diet time. I have gained a ton or weight on the trip. Too many great meals and not enough running.

Speaking of coming home, I am definitely not ready yet. I need to figure out the next steps of life. Not having much luck. I am need of direction and purpose. Yesterday, while touring the Acropolis, I was thinking back to college when I took a Greek Philosophy course. I loved that class and thought back to all of the idealism I possessed. Maybe life sucks that away from you, but I need passion in my life again. The thought of going back to a job where I get yelled at by clients on a daily basis, all in an effort to make a large corporation more money is not doing it for me. We get one pass at this, I’d rather not have my obituary state that I made a lot of money for a large corporation….

The next week should be a lot of fun. 3 days at the beach and then a 4 day cruise. I’ll try and keep in touch.

No comments:

Post a Comment